Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Beautiful

A friend of mine recently posted a blog entry about the beautiful people in her life after reading the following Audrey Hepburn quote:

"The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes that she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows. The beauty of a woman only grows with passing years."

It inspired me to do the same, so here's to the beautiful women in my life.

First, of course, would be my mother. Growing up I never realized how blessed I was to have a stay-at-home mom, but now looking back I am incredibly greatful. My mother was always there for me, being supportive, encouraging, and loving. My mother never missed an event I found important and supported me through years of dance, soccer, cross country, horseback, FFA, etc. My mom has always been there to help me along the way, and continues to do so from 100 miles away. She always has open ears, great advice, and is willing to drive two hours to help me move! I love you mom!

Next would have to be my amazing sister-in-law Sara! She has been a role model to me since the first day Graham brought her to the house and she is just as beautiful inside as she is out! Sara helped me get involved in my horseback riding and FFA and through example taught me that self-confidence and a good sense of humor are what makes a girl beautiful.

Next to come to mind are all the other beautiful ladies in my family. Grandma White who taught me that everyone needs a little crazy in their life, to wash my "mall hands", to lotion my "rusty" knees, and you that, "I've only just begun to live." Grandma Pink who always let me have her old makeup and perfume, who encourages me to have a healthy lifestyle, and who serves as a great example as a woman of faith. To Aunt Lesley who I helped me learn to read and always let me tag along. To Aunt Leslie and the adventures we've had (the Indians with the boa constrictor, getting kicked out of Starbucks, and staying up all night). To Aunt Jacque who got me addicted to picture taking, who made me beautiful dolls, and who has one of the most sincere hearts I have ever encountered.

To Jason's mom, Joan. I love going our vacations of laying out by the pool all day and shopping while the boys have to do actual work. Who lets me sleep at her house when I'm scared and who always has medicine for me when I'm sick.

To the best friend a girl could ask for, Miss Julia Paige. Julia has been there for me every day since we first met. She has helped me get over tough breakups, she has encouraged me to chase what I want, and she has shown me what it means to be truly strong. What I love most about Julia is her ability to make anything fun and her ability to not let what other people think/say affect her.

To the best neighbor ladies a girl could ask for: Kristin, Vicki, and Janne. Kristin who let me and her daughter create fake crime scenes throughout her home, gave me countless rides, always had a key when I was locked out, and somehow always knew where my mom was when I couldn't find her. To Vicki, who always let me tag along, who has helped me to become more creative, who let me stay with her while my parents were out of town, and who helped me develop my love for children. To Janne, the beautiful woman who inspired this entry, for all the giggles and laughs, all the Hilary Duff movies, and for beating that bus (yikes!).

To two teachers who helped me become who I am and enabled me to go as far as I have: Miss Cole (now Mrs. Williams) and Mrs. Wahlund. I was blessed to have both these ladies for two years each and grew so much because of them. Both helped me to crack out of my shell and inspired me to help others.

To all the other amazing ladies in my life...

3 comments:

claudia54 said...

Thank you for the kind words,Laura. It is a great article. You have had some wonderful women to guide you in your life. How good of you to acknowledge them so sweetly.

Kristin said...

Ditto what your mom said. You are also a beautiful woman who has taught the world that a giggle always helps (and is contagious!), being positive and upbeat is better than being pessimistic and to lend a helping hand cheerfully.

Sara White said...

YOU TAUGHT ME NOT TO GO CHASING WATERFALLS! LOVE YA SIS!