Sunday, October 26, 2008

What a weekend.

Well, I just experienced one of the busiest weekend of my life. I don't have any pictures because my camera's batteries died, but I'll be stealing them from people over the next few days.

My weekend started Thursday with the arrival of Ira Fulton at U of A. Ira Fulton is the owner of Fulton homes and one of the richest people in Phoenix. Ira gave a million dollars to help with the construction of the new building on campus, McClelland Park building. I was given the privledge of chauffering him around for the day. I had a great time with him and found him very knowledgeable and kind. He told me the reason he gives away so much money (about 60%) is because he's already lived his dream and wants others to be able to live theirs.

Friday I woke up at 4AM and headed to the golfcourse to work the AgCat Open. The AgCat Open is a golf tournament put on by the college of Agriculture to raise money for scholarships. When I first got there I worked registration and the rest of the time I worked the "Hole In One" hole where the prize was a Buick Lacrosse, unfortunately nobody one. I saw a lot of people I knew and had a blast with Trav's uncle Wilbur who has done a lot for the college. After the golfers had finished we all ate lunch and had an award ceremony. At this point Mike (a kid I work with) and I got to go around collecting all the signs off the golf course. I think we had a little too much fun driving the carts and eventually ended up getting lost. We all headed back to the school and started getting ready for the burrito breakfast. We finished with that and then went to a board meetin. It made for a thirteen hour work day, but it was fun and I need the money.

Saturday I woke up at 5AM and headed to school for the Burrito Breakfast which is an auction that also raises money for scholarships. I hooked up my computer and started the slideshow then went around and socialized with everyone. Once the silent auction was over I went and called out bidders for the live auction. It was really fun, I'm considering going to auction school over the summer. It's relatively cheap and you make good money once you start doing auctions (plus, I think I talk fast enough). After the auction was over I went and met Mike (from tractor team) at the Student Showcase and watched him do his presentation on alternative fuels. He finished up and then we went and met the rest of the guys from the tractor team for tailgating (it was homecoming). We had an absolute blast. The Aggie boys had a float and when they went by the all jumped off and grabbed me and pulled me onto the float so I got to ride on that for a bit. I eventually jumped off and went back. We played this game called ladder ball that was pretty fun, but then someone accidentally hit Wes with the ball "where it counts" and the game ended. We headed back to Wes's to watch the game...we lost. It made for a great day.

Today is laundry and homework day. I also need to get some groceries so I don't starve!

0 comments: